Monday, June 2, 2008

To and fro, stop and go, that's what makes the world go 'round...

The weekend was filled with ups and downs... but overall progress was still made, so I can consider the past few days a success. ^^

Friday I missed out on our Sky run. (I decided I needed to go downtown to get drunk after work.) Not that it really mattered though, considering I was still only on ZM 3 or 4 and didn't have access to Sky. So that's what we ended up doing all day on Saturday. Treu (dual-boxing with Screamin) and Hybrid/Caldera took a bunch of us n00bs (me, Nomar, Rai, Hanzow, Toboue... I think there might have been 1 or 2 more, not sure though) all over the place to complete all of the necessary ZMs to get into Sky. MUCH props to these two guys for helping us out; we owe them BIG TIME. (not that I already don't owe them like a dozen favors each already.) After we got up there into Tu'Lia, Treu even gave us a quick walkthrough of some of the key points to remember up there. (what mobs aggro on what, where to walk to avoid mobs, etc...)

Sunday was spent trying to find a pt to level my MNK some more; while I was slowly gaining xp with my flag up out in Campaign, Tekumel was sitting in Whitegate trying to form a party for us. No luck on the pt though (as usual: no tanks). Hell, when I was looking to form the pt, there was only 1 group of lvl 70's in a party, so it just seemed that noone was leveling this weekend. /shrug

We also went on my 2nd Dynamis run Sunday night: Windy. The LS apparently came pretty close to clearing it, but just ran into some bad luck near the end. Well, not exactly "bad luck" so much as people making mistakes. (One guy even lived up to his characters name. lol but I don't wanna bad-mouth anyone in here so I'll just /laugh and move on. ^^ Just tryin to keep it positive in here folks!) Apparently the RDMs weren't casting {Sleep} as much as they should have been, the 1 tank was pulling mobs in the wrong order, some people kept WS-ing the NIN mobs after repeatedly being told NOT to, the melee's in general weren't listening to the leaders when they were told to stop creaping forward and pull back, and some unwanted aggro was accrued by one of the new guys at the end of the run. All-in-all, chalk it up to inexperience ... with a large dose of stupidity (people not listening to directions).

I don't know what the deal was. When the leader(s) tell you to pull back, you should pull back. I pulled back. A couple other people pulled back. The other dozen or so stayed forward and even kept pushing up. WTF mate? Our main tank would claim and run back to us, but before the mob got back, other people were already attacking and voking or whatnot so they were always fighting up front rather than back where we needed to be.

Whatever. I'm not gonna complain too much, cuz I haven't been here that long, but I definitely see why some people have been getting so frustrated with this LS. I'll still stick it out and try to help out as much as I can in any way that I can.

Now that I'm thinking about it, maybe someone should write up a newbie's guide to Dynamis on our LS site and make everyone read it before going on our next run. Simple stuff like turning on your chat filters to hold the party and linkshell messages on your screen for a few seconds might be VERY helpful. (Maybe people weren't seeing the messages because they were scrolling by too fast?) Maybe we need to specifically say ahead of time what the names of the NIN mobs are. (Doubt that'll help much though, because people actually shout "THIS ONE IS A NIN! DO NOT WEAPON SKILL!" and yet some people end up weapon-skilling anyways.) Maybe we need to name who the various leaders are ahead of time and tell people specifically "Melee always hang around where Suma is (to prevent pushing too far forward) and only /assist what Flayer is attacking unless Suma says to /assist someone else" and "BLMs and RDMs always hang around where Treu is and only /assist Ced unless otherwise told..." and "make sure RDMs are the primary sleepers because they have an A+ Enfeebling skill where BLMs are only a C+" etc....

I don't know. Just a thought. I think it would really help the new people out with what to expect and how to handle situations during these time-constrained events.

1 comment:

Treubond said...

Title from The Sword and the Stone.